Re: fun with regex (or: why is it so?)

2002-08-07 20:09:42
At 21:06 2002-08-07 -0500, David W. Tamkin did say:

The empty pair of parentheses makes sense to both procmail and humans.

There's that, and the unmentioned:

from 'man procmailrc':

        H    Egrep the header (default).

        B    Egrep the body.

(i.e. having NOT specified that the singular condition line provided actually followed flags identifying that the recipe was to match the body, it is generally assumed that it matches the HEADERS ONLY).

I'm not aware of the performance differential, but I usually use the "B" *VARIABLE* on the conditions line (particularly in scoring):

* 3^0 B ?? ()\<opt[-_ ]?out\>