Re: setting shellmetas

2002-08-08 09:54:31
  On Aug 08 at 10:17, David W. Tamkin spoke:

[...]
By temporarily unsetting SHELLMETAS, we tell procmail that there's no
character in a command string that it can't handle on its own, and it
shouldn't even scan the command string to look for any.  By restoring the
value of $SHELLMETAS when we're done, procmail is then able to call a shell
farther along in the rcfile if it needs to.

Thank you for your explanation.

Then the cycles are wasted for procmail to scan for the characters and
possibly to fork an extra shell process that wasn't needed.

Thus as long as I quote properly is it an issue of performance?

It some times happens to me that I pipe twice into sed:
| sed 'session1' | sed 'session2'
(My experience with sed is limited.)
Should I set SHELL to light version of shell (/bin/ash or /bin/sh)
rather than something like bash?

-Hanspeter