Re: Why does my autoreply not work ???

2002-08-11 01:34:40

I found the solution to this one myself. I had compiled procmail and formail on
Solaris 8 computer, and tested it on that computer where it did seem to work -
I had some success geting local auto-replies, although it was difficult to
test this properly as I only had one account and so was replying to myself.

I've not got a second account on the same comptuer system and found the
problem. The mail server was a Solaris 2.6 machine ( an earlier version than
what I had compiled the program on. That did not have some of the library
routines that the  newer machine had. Hence when external mail came in,
formal was dying, without a core dump or any message. Recompiling
procmail/formail
on the mail server, rather than a newer workstation solved the problem.

Dr. David Kirkby