Re: Why does my autoreply not work ???

2002-08-12 01:10:40
At 09:17 2002-08-11 +0100, Dave Kirkby did say:
work - I had some success geting local auto-replies, although it was difficult to test this properly as I only had one account and so was replying to myself.

Use a sandbox for testing (see my .sig). Take saved messages and throw them at the test script, which should also incorporate a replacement for $SENDMAIL, such that the autoreplies are not actually sent, but instead is written to a file with some additional lines defining how sendmail would have actually been invoked. This way, virtually everything about the recipe is exactly how you'd actually use it.

Recompiling procmail/formail on the mail server, rather than a newer workstation solved the problem.

Ah, indeed, compiling programs on machines other than the actual machine they'll be executed upon nearly always causes grief.