Re: Maildir issues.

2002-08-14 13:10:41
David(_at_)webedited(_dot_)com writes:
I'm using a mail spool of maildir folders, so

/var/spool/mail/user
/var/spool/mail/user/new
/var/spool/mail/user/cur
/var/spool/mail/user/tmp

all exist, and procmail knows that /var/spool/mail/user is where the mail
should be going. I don't believe (see on) it was compiled with any change
to the line in authenticate.c:

#define MAILSPOOLSUFFIX ""           /* suffix to force maildir or MH
style */

When delivering mail, procmail is using what I can only assume is
MH format. Mail ends us in individual files in /var/mail/user in the form
msg.<some unique letters>. As far as I've read, recompiling with

That's actually a procmail-specific format, not MH format.

#define MAILSPOOLSUFFIX "/"

has to do with this, but since the comment mentions both maildir and MH
I'm unsure if it will make a difference. Is there anything I have missing
which procmail looks for when checking what the storage format is, or
would that be sufficient?

You have it right.  If you wanted to have it treat the mailspool as an
MH folder, you would #define MAILSPOOLSUFFIX to "/."

Because I'm using exim, and within the default configuration for exim
there was the line "never_users = root" which prevents exim delivering
mail as root (it drops privs to "nobody") as a "paranoic safety catch",
it seemed like a good idea to keep this.

Sure, but you should also setup an alias for 'root' so that the mail is
delivered to whomever should be handling it.

Philip Guenther