Re: unknown mailer and procmail

2002-08-20 01:39:25
Chinson Yi <cyi(_at_)rwsc(_dot_)com> writes:
recently, I implemented procmail with some SPAM sanitizers.    I'm
seeing part of our incoming emails returned with the following errors.
Any help to solve this would be appreciated.

    (reason: 38)

554 5.3.0 unknown mailer error 38

Procmail is returning the exit code 38.  The only reason for procmail
to do so is if you're setting the EXITCODE variable in the rcfile.

R$*<@$=w>$*     $#procmail $@/etc/procmail/filter.rc $:$1<@$2.procmail.>$3
R$*<@$=w.>$*    $#procmail $@/etc/procmail/filter.rc $:$1<@$2.procmail.>$3
R$*<@$*.procmail.>$*    $1<@$2.>$3

Mprocmail,      P=/usr/bin/procmail, F=DFMmShun, S=11/31, R=21/31,
                   T=DNS/RFC822/X-Unix,
                         A=procmail -m $h $g $u

Unless you're running a really old sendmail, that mailer definition
is probably not correct.  With any modern sendmail, you should use
the m4 config system to generate the sendmail.cf, in which case you
should put something like

define(`PROCMAIL_MAILER_PATH', `/usr/bin/procmail')
MAILER(`procmail')
LOCAL_RULE_0
R$*<@$=w>$*     $#procmail $@/etc/procmail/filter.rc $:$1<@$2.procmail.>$3
R$*<@$=w.>$*    $#procmail $@/etc/procmail/filter.rc $:$1<@$2.procmail.>$3
R$*<@$*.procmail.>$*    $1<@$2.>$3

in the .mc file and then regenerate the .cf file from that.
In particular, the ruleset values (S= and R=) are incorrect for most
recent sendmail versions and newer versions of MAILER(`procmail') omit
the F=m flag from the mailer because its too difficult to use correctly.

Philip Guenther