Re: Summary: Conflict between c flag and filter

2002-08-29 13:11:31
Udi wrote,

| Learn a lot this week - well, I thought that you forgot something
| the "$", after some playing I understand that variables right to
| the "?" are interpreted by the shell, isn't?

Sometimes.

Everything after the "?" in an exit code condition is like everything after
the "|" in a piping, filtering, or variable capture action: if there's a
character from $SHELLMETAS, procmail will hand the whole string over to a
shell, but if there are no characters from $SHELLMETAS, procmail will
substitute the variables and run the command itself.

But in any case, you don't need the "$" modifer to get variable substitution
on an exit code condition; in fact, I believe it can hurt -- or help -- by
causing double interpretation (something like sh's eval).