Re: spammed by a list member

2002-09-09 23:01:08
Charlie Summers wrote:

At 11:45 PM -0400 9/9/02, ProcMailER is rumored to have typed:

I suggest that if he is unable to properly administer his email client
that he be dropped from the list.

   I suggest that _you_ lighten up, for pete's sake.

I, for one don't mind the occasional public irate reaction to such
mail.  It serves as a reminder to those thinking of using procmail
to handle spam that they should DO IT RIGHT or they can expect flames,
removal from mailing lists. etc.  So, in that sense, it's on topic!

[snip]
But I don't blame _him_ for going to a whitelisting scheme,
considering the huge amounts of spam received by our machines every day.

Whitelisting (and blacklisting) is one thing.  Choosing to send
autoreplies requesting out-of-band jumping-through-hoops
to the grey cases, however, is quite something else.  If
*so many messages* are left over after white & black listing that
they can't be thrown into a folder for quick perusal before manual
deletion, then one hasn't done the job right.

The autoreplies won't reach spammers, of course, since they don't
use repliable addresses in the headers.  So they only reach and
annoy legitimate people who were actually trying to reach you, or
addresses which were spoofed and put in the headers (either by
spammers and/or klez-like viruses).

That
he chose to send his list mail through it was certainly pretty stupid.

Yup.  Part of "not doing it right."

   But if you have the time to whine to the _list_ about it instead of to the
sender (or his upstreams, if it's really that important to you) you have
_way_ too much time on your hands.

I guess that must apply to you as well.  And to me, now, also  :-)

         Charlie (who strongly urges you to learn the definition of "spam"
                   before wrongly subjecting another posting)

I agree, it wasn't spam that he got (which is, at minimum,
bulk and unsolicited).  Too often the term is being used these days
for "any mail I don't like," and that isn't the spam problem.

Stan