Re: What's the better way?

2002-09-23 11:00:50
Paul followed up (an expression that suddenly, after I've been seeing it on
 the net for a decade and a half, suddenly strikes me as remarkably similar to
 "frowed up"),

| That was the gist of my question; I was wondering if there was any
| significant performance difference between the two.

Under some OSes, recent versions of procmail cause coredumps if you attempt a
variable capture recipe.  Other than that I don't rightly know.  The advantage
to a variable capture recipe is that you can feed only the head or only the
body to it if you want; that's impossible with a backquote assignment.
Backquote assignments can be done conditionally:

 :0
 * condition
 { VARIABLE=`command -opts args` }

so restricting execution to situations where it is needed is not an advantage
for variable capture.

| For example, is it safe to assume that VARIABLE=|command notation
| uses SHELLMETAS in exactly the same way as just a | on an action line?

Don't assume it.  Believe it.  Believe it safely.  It's true.