Re: What's the better way?

2002-09-23 08:36:24

On Sun, Sep 22, 2002 at 12:54:20PM -0500, David W. Tamkin wrote:

| | formail -A "X-bogofactor: $MATCH

You're missing a closing quote there (and again where you repeated the formail
command),

Uh, blame that on lazy cut-and-paste....

My guess is that, since with chaining will allow procmail to skip running
formail for nothing when bogofilter has exited badly, it's preferable;
however, the real difference, if any exists, probably is in the backquote
assignment versus the variable capture format.

That was the gist of my question; I was wondering if there was any
significant performance difference between the two.  (Obviously it would
depend on the load on the server.)  The man pages appear to contain only
one mention of the =| syntax, and the FAQs and examples aren't much more
help.  A search for =| through the mailing list archives showed me some
stuff that I hadn't been able to grok from the man pages, but the only
other mention is in the "Recipe action line" section of procmailrc(1),
and is sadly lacking is any sort of discussion of performance.  It's not
a huge issue at the moment, but in the event that it becomes one, I'd
rather have done things correctly from the start.

For example, is it safe to assume that VARIABLE=|command notation
uses SHELLMETAS in exactly the same way as just a | on an action line?
Or does the fact that stdout of the command line is being fed into the
variable mean that the command line *must* be run through a shell even
if SHELLMETAS characters aren't found?

Procmail will happily scan a multiline variable just as it happily scans
complete heads, complete bodies, and complete messages:

That was perfect.  Thanks.

That addresses the problem more than it does the question, but it should help.

As long as you continue to understand my problems better than I do, I
have no objections to such answers.  ;-)

--
  Paul Chvostek
<paul(_at_)it(_dot_)ca>