Re: Email to multiple recipients filtered only to the first in the list

2002-09-30 12:28:09
At 17:20 2002-09-30 +0100, Rick wrote:
When I send email to multiple recipients in the To header,
eg: To: person1(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)org, person2(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)org, person3(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)org, person4(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)org
person1 gets all the email (eg: 4 copies if sent as above)
and the others don't get any!

Repeat after me:

        PROCMAIL IS NOT AN MTA.

Then, check the main procmail manpage, where you'll find words similar to that in there.

The procmail recipes all have this form ...

:0
* ^TOperson1(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)org
! person1(_at_)our(_dot_)isp(_dot_)com

[snip - the others NEVER see the message as long as this one matches]

Looks OK to me, but I am really quite ignorant.
Can anyone see the flaw?

Take your email in hand, and manually run the logic - each of the multiple-recipient copies you receive will match the FIRST recipe and stop there. Hit the procmail list archives, and you'll see some of the _limited_ mechanisms for dealing with this (which invariably break the instant one of the recipients is BCC'd).

This is stuff you properly handle in the MTA aliases table or virtusertable.