A desperate plea for help - "bypassed locking" problem

2002-10-02 12:59:58

To anyone who can possibly help me with this at all,

I'm a procmail newbie and am just about ready to deploy a procmail recipe in everyone's home folder. However there's one last problem I just cant figure out in spite of all the hours of research I've done. Heres the deal -

In my procmail logfile I get the following error:

procmail: Bypassed locking "/var/spool/mail/username.lock"

The log file then shows this mailbox file to be assigned as LASTFOLDER, opens it, and uses a kernel lock.

From what I've read, it seems that procmail requires permissions to the /var/spool/mail/username file before it can lock it.

I use a .procmailrc file in my home folder and it's invoked over the .forward file.

I want to know how to give procmail the permissions to lock this file without giving it too much control in case a hacker exploits it.

Any suggestions will be VERY GREATLY APPRECIATED as I've been trying and trying to get this to work to no avail.

Thank you so much,

Joe Leske

PS - The place where mail goes to if all conditions in the recipe match is a file with the location - /home/viruses. I had to make this file world writable to let procmail lock it and dump messages into it. Could this be a problem?

_______________________________________________ procmail mailing list procmail(_at_)lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE http://MailMan.RWTH-Aachen.DE/mailman/listinfo/procmail