Re: variables (for an exit code)

2002-10-10 08:27:17
Tom explained,

| Actually, It was my intention to use EXITCODE because I want to be
| able to temporarily bounce a message back into the mail queue.
| Still sane?

It is probably workable.  However, it's customary not to set EXITCODE until
you're about to use it, so I personally would feel more comfortable if first
you saved the exit status under another name, and then, if you determined that
it was reason to bounce the message, you copied the value into $EXITCODE.
Another small factor is that some non-zero exit codes are not going to be
reasons to bounce the message, so in those cases, you'll need to remember to
unset EXITCODE (or make it null, or set it to 0) so that it won't cause a
bounce; again, this is a matter of comfort, so my own tactic would be to use
another variable until I reach a point where I'm positive that this is the
value I want in $EXITCODE when procmail is done.

So it's workable, but I'd neither do it myself nor advise anyone else to.
I've enough headaches in my life that I prefer small preventions to small
risks.