Re: strange sed bahavior

2002-10-14 13:02:32
At 14:13 2002-10-14 -0500, Bo Peng wrote:

Since I put both lyx-user and lyx-devel emails in the same folder, I
would like to distinguish them by adding [DEVEL] to emails from
lyx-devel.

[snip]

        1. When you change the subject lines, and then REPLY to them, you're
        changing the subject lines OTHER PEOPLE receive in response to
        mailing list messages.  This isn't good form.  If you're doing it
        for your own email, one must wonder why you're not simply filtering
the messages into a list-specific mailbox, which it far more intuitive.
        IOW, why not just filter devel into a devel folder?

        2. None of your recipes take into consideration that the subject may
        already contain a list identifier (say, because you posted a reply to
        a list with this identifier in it, and someone replied to that, and
        you replied to them - work it out in your head what happens).

        3. why on earth would you believe you need to run the sed operation
        "globally" ?

        4. Filtering on the to: address isn't a good idea for mailing lists.
        Try using a Sender: or similar header which likely exists in the
        messages.  Besides Bcc'd messages, crossposts will all be tagged if
        you use the approach you're using.

5. There are much better ways to do this. Search for [procmail] in the
        procmail list archives (a searchable archive is linked from the
        procmail homepage).  It involves using $MATCH and formail.

I am using procmail 3.11pre7 on Sparc/Solaris 2.8.

Consider upgrading your procmail.  That version is over half a decade old.