Re: strange sed bahavior

2002-10-14 13:52:14
On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 12:46:10PM -0700, Professional Software Engineering
wrote:
Since I put both lyx-user and lyx-devel emails in the same folder, I
would like to distinguish them by adding [DEVEL] to emails from
lyx-devel.

[snip]

 1. When you change the subject lines, and then REPLY to them, you're
 changing the subject lines OTHER PEOPLE receive in response to
 mailing list messages.  This isn't good form.  If you're doing it
 for your own email, one must wonder why you're not simply filtering
 the messages into a list-specific mailbox, which it far more
intuitive.
 IOW, why not just filter devel into a devel folder?

Well, it would be a while before I can participate lyx-devel. Now, I
only reply to lyx-users and want to have a look at lyx-devel. I already
have many mail folders and would like to save some 'page down's from my
mutt folder window.

 2. None of your recipes take into consideration that the subject may
 already contain a list identifier (say, because you posted a reply
 a list with this identifier in it, and someone replied to that, and
 you replied to them - work it out in your head what happens).

lyx-devel does not have a list identifier. That is exactly why I need
one.

 3. why on earth would you believe you need to run the sed operation
 "globally" ?

I do not understand your point. I only sed emails from lyx-devel.

 4. Filtering on the to: address isn't a good idea for mailing lists.
 Try using a Sender: or similar header which likely exists in the
 messages.  Besides Bcc'd messages, crossposts will all be tagged if
 you use the approach you're using.

Good suggestion. Thanks!

 5. There are much better ways to do this.  Search for [procmail]
in the
 procmail list archives (a searchable archive is linked from the
 procmail homepage).  It involves using $MATCH and formail.

I do not need a 'better' way if sed can do the job. But I will see what
is $MATCH.

I am using procmail 3.11pre7 on Sparc/Solaris 2.8.

Consider upgrading your procmail.  That version is over half a decade old.

I know. Our system administrator has not been updating it for a while.
If this is the souce of the problem, I will install a personal copy of
procmail. (BTW, can procmail be installed without root privilege?)

I still have no idea why [DEVEL] does not work.

--
Bo Peng