Serial processing

2002-10-14 16:38:22
Hi all,

I searched the web and the mailing list archive about this subject, but couldn't find anything. Perhaps my wording is non-standard, since this seems to me as a pretty basic problem.

I use fetchmail to get email from my ISP then procmail to pass it throught spamassassin and deliver it to a local mailbox. The other day, I lost my Net connectivity for about 24 hours and I had about 200 emails waiting on my ISP's POP account. When my Net connectivity came back, fetchmail feeded all the 200 emails to procmail which hapilly started 200 instances of spamassassin. Result, after a couples minutes my free swap was 0KB and the machine crashed. A pretty effective DoS attack... 8(

So my question: is it possible to limit the number of concurent process that procmail starts? At the limit, it could start only one process at a time (serial processing).

Thanks a lot for your help,
GFK's
--
Guillaume Filion