Re: Limiting extent

2002-10-20 06:21:04
fleet(_at_)teachout(_dot_)org wrote,

| Because this (in the message body) is perfectly acceptable:
|
| http://www.asu.edu/educ/epsl/CERU/Annual%20reports/EPSL-0209-103-CERU.pd
|
| while this:
|
| http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ecoolandquiet%2Ecom%2F
|
| appears to be a spammer trying to hide his/her URL.

A spammer trying to sneak past spamblocks is not the only sender who might
encode characters in a URL that way.  When I include mailto: links in posts to
lists running on Yahoo Groups (probably would be the same on Topica, who munge
similarly), I use "%40" instead of "@" so that the domain will be intact for
those who read the post by visiting the list's archives on Yahoo Groups' web
site.  So far those addresses have never been spammed, so either harvesters
leave those groups alone or they haven't caught on yet.

So that might apply when the protocol in the URL is http -- neither Yahoo nor
Topica alters those -- but at least with mailto: there could be other reasons,
and the message containing such a URL might not be spam after all.