Re: rule set problem

2002-10-24 17:50:18
Ruud H.G. van Tol wrote:
Tom Allison skribis:

Ruud H.G. van Tol:

Tom Allison:

* ^From.*$MYDOMAIN

 * $ ^^From[  ].*$MYDOMAIN

I ended up going with
* $ ^^From .*$MYDOMAIN

What I do not understand is what my regex was asking for that
prevented it from working.

The '$' in a regexp means end-of-line. Only when you add a dollar to the asterisk, the variables are recognized and expanded first.

BTW, the [  ] is a procmail-list-shorthand for [<space><tab>].
(a characterset with just 2 spaces inside is a strange thing)

ugh!
Would it have been easier to just adopt the POSIX regex functions that are so common?
I am new, so I don't have the history, but it seems strange.

--
Hanlon's Razor:
        Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained