parsing email addresses - multiple ones that is

2002-11-16 09:38:45
oops, this reads so badly - apologies.

Lets me add:

To: "'era(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi'" <era(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi>, Eric Smith
<eric(_at_)fruitcom(_dot_)com>, "Joe Bloggs" joe(_at_)bloggs(_dot_)com

_each_ of the above comment/address pairs needs to be placed in a list
for further processing one by one.

Has anyone written a procmailish approach to extracting each email-address /
comment
pair in a header?

And yes as Era points out these may not even come in pairs -
<quote>

       From: era eriksson <era(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi>
       From: era(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi
       From: era(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi (era eriksson)

   and the following are entirely possible:

       From: era(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi (this is a comment with no useful content)
       From: "'era(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi'" <era(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi>    ; Microsoft
braindeath
       From: era (thass me!) eriksson <era(_at_)iki(_dot_)fi> (fer sure)
</quote>

Anyway, I want to process each actual email in (say) a To: headers and
after possibly changing the actual email address, I want to place the orginal
comment part in the new header.

So any offers for a reasonably native and RFC compliant parsing routine?

thanx
--
Eric Smith

----- End forwarded message -----