Re: unsubscribe

2002-11-19 12:15:49
At 12:58 PM -0500 11/19/02, Tom Betz is rumored to have typed:

Perhaps it's time for that information to be included in the body of the
list's
e-mails... even THIS list's e-mails.

   (*sigh*) I'm beginning to think you may be right. We routinely have people
trying to unsubscribe to the list address. We have folks sending messages to
the list targeted to the list ADMIN (nevermind the admin address is available
on the web page). Just today we had someone send a test message to the list
so he could check his filters, for pity's sake. You'd think the people
subscribed to this list would be more knowledgable than to pull stupid stunts
like these...obviously not, but still.

   Problem is, these idiots aren't going to read the body any more than they
bother reading the headers. It isn't the inability to read headers that's the
problem, it's the inability of the mail senders to _think._ I mean, why
bother to actually check when I can whine to a few thousand of my most
intimite friends, right? And no body text is going to help that. If you come
up with anything that will, short of an active admin with a fast
trigger-finger to bounce these people into the /dev/null they so richly
deserve, please let us know.

         Charlie