procmail breaks attachments

2002-11-22 10:29:34
Hi,

I have a UNIX shell account and I use procmail to filter all my
mail into separate files for different email lists, etc. Something
I've noticed is that when someone sends out an attachment to an
email to one of my email lists, the encoding or something is broken
on the attachment, so that when I download it using Eudora (over
my PPP account), I just get the garbagy encoded file rather than
the Word file or jpg or whatever.

Some people have told me that elm, which I use as my email reader
when on the shell account, breaks attachments. But I often download
emails having attachments without ever having opened the file in elm.
I suspect that it's procmail that's breaking the encoding on the
attachment.

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,

J. Wermont