formail dying on large messages

2002-11-25 10:45:46

formail seems to be choking (it was coring on version 3.15, but upgraded to 3.22) on large message. The recipe I'm using is:

        :0
        * > 31000
        | formail -r | formail -xTo: | perl ./doError.pl junk errTooBig

the last two items are variables passed to the perl script. This works fine for most messages, but gets the following error in Procmail on large messages:

Error while writing to " formail -r | formail -xTo: | perl ./doError.pl junk errTooBig"

I'm just using formail to get the correct return address and pass it to the perl script using STDIN. Because this recipe fails, the mail falls through to a default rule which forwards to another procmail managed account. And formail fails there with the following error:

        procmail: Excessive output quenched from "formail"
        procmail: Excessive output quenched from "formail"
        procmail: Exceeded LINEBUF
        Unmatched "

with the only recipe being:

        mTO= `formail -xTo:`
        mFROM= `formail -xFrom:`
        mSUBJECT= `formail -xSubject:`
        mBODY= `formail -I ""`
        mHEADER = `formail -X ""`

        :0
        | perl ./parser.pl "$mTO" "$mFROM" "$mSUBJECT" "$mBODY" "$mHEADER"

Is there any way to get formail to stop choking on these long messages? I thought since I wasn't asking it to preserve the body, that it wouldn't have a problem.

Thanks in advance

Steve Cochran
Dartmouth College