$HOME/.forward when using exim and procmail

2002-11-28 12:57:00
Hi all,

I'm not aware whether this topic was already discussed within
this group, because I'm very new with Debian Linux and procmail.
I'm also not sure whether my question either belongs to procmail
or to exim.

The default mailer on a Debian Linux system is exim.
Exim uses procmail as transport when the file $HOME/.procmailrc
exists. There is no need to start procmail via the $HOME/.forward
file as frequently described in dedicated FAQ's.

Before setting up procmail, I used $HOME/.forward to forward
my private email to my companies mail account. Because I've recently
subscribed to some mailing lists, my mail traffic has increased very much.

My intension was, to filter out the messages directed to mailing lists and
copy them to dedicated directories. The remaining mails, which do not match
to the maillist filters should be delivered as usual to /var/mail/<user>
and also should be forwarded to my companies mail account.

What I could observe is, that all the mails to the maillists is copied correctly to the intended files/directories and the remaining mail is delivered as usual
to /var/mail/<user>.

But ALL mail messages are forwarded to my company, because my companies
email address is still in $HOME/.forward. My expectation was that only the
remaining email, which does not match to any procmail filter, is being forwarded
via ~/.forward. But this is obviously not true.

Do I have to do forwarding within procmail and deleting ~/.forward to prevent
that all email is forwarded.

Does anybody have an idea about this?

Thanks in advance,

Harry