Re: domain check with procmail

2002-12-03 10:33:59
On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 12:11:47AM -0800, Mihai Costache wrote:
    i have a qmail server and i need to make some
"filters" with procmail ... i want to compare the domain
from sender email address with domain of the
host(MX) from  mail come from, and if they don't match to
let the mail to be delivered at the recipient address and
send a warnning mail at the same address. can anybody give
me some tips ?

That's a pretty tall order, and probably not very useful even if you can
achieve it.
Which "mx mail came from" are you interested? Your message, for instance, has
about a dozen Received: header lines, each one with an MX host (two,
actually).
On top of that, comparing the domain of the address in the "From:" header
(yahoo.com) with the domain of the address in the "From_" header
(rwth-aachen.de) is not very useful. Am I to conclude that there's a problem?
It's perfectly legitimate for these to not match, this most obvious example
being when a message is sent to a list, which redirects it to all the
subscribers.
MY message, even if it was sent directly to you and not through the list,
would look the same. My "From:" says pure-chaos.com, but the MX host for my
domain is not in the pure-chaos.com domain. Matter of fact, that domain won't
appear any any of my headers except my From: address. But that's all perfectly
normal when a mail server hosts multiple domains.

--
Andrew Edelstein        -       http://andrew.pure-chaos.com/resume.txt

Please do not reply directly to me, or Cc: me on a reply to a list message.
I'll get my copy from the list.