Re: Simple rc check - and Mac user's questions

2002-12-03 10:15:58
On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 09:38:26AM -0500, Jefferis Peterson wrote:
I'm also running into a problem using Bbedit.  I have been using "save as
Unix" since I assumed that would be closer to ASCII for an upload.  I'm
concerned about errant carriage returns. However, as Unix the file saves in
this format with square characters for line returns:

To be specific, they are not "square characters", they are non-printable chars
that mean nothing to your Mac, so it displays a square to indicate there's
something there.

I asked on the Bbedit list without getting help.  Any Mac users out there
who can help me figure out how to save and upload the file to FreeBSD
properly?

I have Interarchy as an FTP program for direct to root uploads.

Since you're talking about FTP, you don't need to worry about "saving as
Unix". Just save it as your native format. Upload the files to FreeBSD using
FTPs "ascii" mode and it will take care of translating to the correct format
for you.

--
Andrew Edelstein        -       http://andrew.pure-chaos.com/resume.txt

Please do not reply directly to me, or Cc: me on a reply to a list message.
I'll get my copy from the list.