clearing MATCH

2002-12-16 15:59:15
I can't figure out the rhyme or reason to when MATCH's value
is carried forward to later recipes.  I've had some problems
where I had to clear MATCH manually in the rc before further
use of it.  But othertimes, the value is not persistent cross-
recipe.

I just did an experiment where I had something like

        * VAR ?? text\/matching-text
        * some unrelated condition
        * MATCH ?? test what had been matched in cond. 1

With that recipe, MATCH's value persisted after the end of
the recipe.  When I reversed the second and third condition
line, though, the new value of MATCH vanished after that
recipe was through; yet, a persistent previous value of
MATCH was still set.  (Which makes no sense to me whatever.)
So what's up?

I don't want to have to type

        MATCH

to clear the value before every new recipe that uses MATCH
(which is many of them).  And I also wish to understand
what so far seem like capricious rules for when the value
persists.

Finally, near the end of the procmailrc man pages comes this
sentence fragment:

       Some non-optimal and non-obvious regexps set MATCH  to  an
       incorrect value.  The regexp can be made to work by remov­
       ing one or more unneeded [sic]

Uh: one or more unneeded *what*?!  :-)  Enquiring minds want
to know.  Oh -- this is ver. 3.22.

--
Dallman