Re: How to block a range of IP's?

2002-12-30 11:16:48
On Monday, December 30, 2002, at 11:11  AM, Jefferis Peterson wrote:
So if I want to block a range in the received from IP's, what would be the
best way to go about this procedure?

Procmail is not the only way to do this, and IMHO it's not the best way. If you're the administrator of your server (I assume so) you can include those IPs in a list such as sendmail's access control database, which is probably in /etc/mail/access or somewhere like it. See <http://www.sendmail.org/m4/anti_spam.html> for the official explanation; I've got some more step-by-step instructions (for Sun Cobalt servers, but probably applicable to most sendmail installations) at <http://bluebird.sinauer.com/~morse/cobalt/access_db.html>. This would refuse any/all SMTP connections from those IPs (or a range including those IPs) without you needing to accept the mail and then filter it through procmail.

You could also block them at the firewall, but I wouldn't suggest that; I think the access control db would be better.

pjm