Re: procmail blues: half-shod solution...

2002-12-31 12:41:16
I would just like to say thanks to ALL of your help, I'm getting to
understand a lot better the procmail syntax, among various other things.

Yes my read email order is sort of random, I pick one and read it, you
know. Maybe something to do with pine's ordering or something.

I get the MATCH syntax now, and get what's with sloppy code!

All in all, my .procmailrc is working ok;

:0  # inside the square braces are a caret and a space.
* ^^From \/[^ ]+
{ FROM = $MATCH }

:0
* FROM ?? @\/.*
{ DOMAIN = $MATCH }

Works really good, no formail, no awk!!

I do have a few questions after perusing the various man pages..

* ^From.*peter

Does this mean peter has to be the last thing on the line? Or is it
allowing and waits until it hits a "peter" then matches?

How can I execute a script everytime a mail comes? For example, I used to
get notifications of new mail when I was logged on, but now all my mail
files are in $HOME/mail/ this doesn't happen.

I want to write a simple script to check if I'm logged in, and use "send
poff you have new mail from $FROM" to send a message to my terminal.

I did this once with send=`bla` but rather a disaster when I wasn't logged
in, and when you're not logged "send" uses mail so I had ringing mail
which was HUGE!

Man is fun ;)

Thanks for all your help,

Poff