Re: TO UNSUBSCRIBE READ THIS! (Was: please remove my address)

2003-01-06 15:31:41
At 4:41 PM -0500 1/6/03, dman(_at_)nomotek(_dot_)com is rumored to have typed:

I didn't see the two from today.  I only see your and Sean's
replies.  The reason?

   Certainly, and much thanks for at least bringing the thread on-topic by
suggesting a procmail recipe, but that doesn't solve the problem...much like
a spam filter, it only helps you pretend the problem doesn't exist.

   The _real_ problem is clueless, lazy people who 1) never save the, "Please
save this message" message they receive when they subscribe, 2) never bother
to check the standard List-* header fields, and/or 3) don't want to be
bothered unsubscribing themselves and would rather annoy the other scores,
hundreds, or thousands of subscribers to mailing lists.

   It might be argued that subscribers to a hobby list should be forgiven for
not reading and retaining instructions (_I_ wouldn't argue that, but then I
expect anyone playing in someone else's sandbox to understand the rules of
that sandbox and not to use it as a litter box). It is, IMHO, completely
unforgivable for anyone subscribed to a technical list like this one to act
like some clueless newbie who's never subscribed to a mailing list before.
The subscriber base should NOT have to filter out messages that should never
be sent in the first place.

   (I don't usually get annoyed by such things, but there seemed to be a
mini-epidemic of "please take me off" messages which I was hoping to stop by
telling anyone else who might think about it that they _shouldn't_ think
about it, in my ascerbic, curmudgeonly style.)

   I will cheerfully permit you the last word, or continue this discussion in
private email if you'd like, since I think I'm pushing the tolerance of the
subscribership myself in this off-topic thread.

         Charlie