Re: No good spamming bastards are using new tricks to get by the filters

2003-01-20 13:11:11
procmail(_at_)deliberate(_dot_)net wrote:

On Mon, 20 Jan 2003 04:46:30 -0500 (EST), dman(_at_)nomotek(_dot_)com wrote:

=> Has anyone yet found a base-64-encoded *non-multipart*
=> message that wasn't spam?

=>   * ^Content-Type:(.*\<)?text/(html|plain)
=>   * ^Content-Transfer-Encoding:(.*\<)?base64

=> regularly grabs 20% of my spam and has not yet (in three months)
false-pozzed.

      Unfortunately I have, but just one.  It's from an
ex-vendor (manufacturer) to one of my clients.  IMO, the vendor
technical staff have been intentionally ignorant of *all* email
related issues in the several years I had to handle their
incoming flow - very frustrating.

this - this email was legal and legitimate.  Here's the
[edited] headers:

~~~~~
~~~~~

Actually, the base64 encoding of text/plain is pretty damn rare
even for spammers.  I've seen it a couple of times.  But far and
away most of the base64-encoded single-part spam messages I get have
the Content-Type header set to "text/html".

You could remove the "plain" from your algorithm to let your
odd correspondent through without a big rise in false-negatives.
(Or you could whitelist your correspondent.)

--
dman