Re: Is this just a bad idea? How do you write to a lmtp socket?

2003-01-21 19:34:26
At 17:28 2003-01-21 -0800, Hans Christensen did say:
I have been looking for the proper way to configure sendmail to use procmail

And for the third time you've reposted your query. It *IS* arriving on the list, and it *IS* being delivered to everyone. If you haven't received a response, it is probably because hundreds of people don't want to chime in "I don't know, I don't use that package combination," because it sounds pretty dumb when they do.

as a local mailer and filter messages globally and then dump them into
cyrus' /var/imap/socket/lmtp. While this seems a sensible thing to do, I

If the cyrusv2 mailer is being used (and if it isn't, WHAT IS, and why do you have the cyrus mailer configured in sendmail?), then perhaps you should be talking to the chaps doing cyrus and ask "how do I call procmail from within Cyrus?"

I'm not familiar with Cyrus IMAP, but it sure looks like the delivery is to a socket. End of line characters may pose an issue as well (that E= setting). The flags and sender address parsing ruleset also differ. *YOU* should check to see what the individual flags represent - this isn't a forum on Sendmail configuration (comp.mail.sendmail might be a good place to look for sendmail support).

my procmailrc is:

# File: Procmail.global

THAT isn't a global procmail filename. '/etc/procmailrc' is. Nor is that filename something which procmail would look for within a user's home dir.

# Make a backup copy off all incoming mail (comment the next entry
# out ounce you've finished testing procmail integration)
:0 ic
| $DELIVER -a $CYRUSUSER -m user.$CYRUSUSER.backup

I presume this CYRUSUSER variable is supposed to be set in the environment?

:0:$CYRUSUSER.lock
| $DELIVER -a $CYRUSUSER -m user.$CYRUSUSER

procmail: Executing
"/usr/local/cyrus/bin/deliver,-a,-hansc,m,user.hansc.backup"
procmail: Locking ".lock"

Doesn't that lockfile name seem queer to you?  You did review the log, right?

Try putting braces around the variable name in your flags line, and see if that makes a difference (at least for the lockfile name - this won't magically hook into your Cyrus delivery):

        :0:${CYRUSUSER}.lock

What I believe is that I need to make a change to "A=FILE
/var/imap/socket/lmtp" and aim the output into procamil, which would in turn
process any recipes and write its output to /var/imap/socket/lmtp. Can
someone tell me how to do this or why it is not agood idea to do it this
way, please?

That would be the logical thing to try - 'cept that I'm getting the impression that cyrus speaks SMTP (and thus, Sendmail's transfer of the message to Cyrus would begin with an SMTP conversation). Procmail does not speak SMTP. If you mangle the delivery flags so that procmail can receive the message, it isn't going to pass the message out as an SMTP conversation to Cyrus.

Surely you must have wondered why Cyrus is using a socket?