procmail MH-format delivery/locking "bug"

2003-01-23 16:02:40
The bad behavior was caused by pilot error (I specified a lockfile when
none was necessary) but I'd think procmail should be able to figure it
out without going into a locking-retry loop.

procmail v3.22 2001/09/10

The procmailrc looks like this:

------
CLIENTS="abc|xyz|pdq"   # Not the real values, but you get the idea
KNOWN="known/."         # I want to write files in an MH directory
LASTFOLDER              # Later recipes test for LASTFOLDER non-empty

:0c:
* $ ^From:.*@(|[^@, ]*\.)($CLIENTS)\.[^.>]+
"$KNOWN"
------

The directory $MAILDIR/known does not exist.  This is the reason for the
locking failure, but the manual says the directories will be created when
delivering in MH format.

The VERBOSE=yes output from "procmail -m procmailrc" looks like this:

procmail: Match on "^From:.*@(|[^@, ]*\.)(abc|xyz|pdq)\.[^.>]+
procmail: Locking "known/..lock"
procmail: Error while writing to "known/_KGF.GwGM-.moonbase.zanshin.c"
procmail: [20874] Thu Jan 23 14:26:23 2003
procmail: Locking "known/..lock"
procmail: Error while writing to "known/_KGF,GwGM-.moonbase.zanshin.c"
procmail: [20874] Thu Jan 23 14:26:31 2003
procmail: Locking "known/..lock"

(at this point I hit interrupt)

procmail: Error while writing to "known/_KGF+GwGM-.moonbase.zanshin.c"
procmail: Terminating prematurely whilst waiting for lockfile
"è{s(_at_)è{s(_dot_)lock"

(Note garbage in the reported lockfile name in the log -- pointer to free
memory, perhaps?)