Re: restricted form

2003-01-31 10:59:22
At 06:37 2003-01-31 -0500, dman(_at_)nomotek(_dot_)com did say:
either out of revenge or stupidity.  (I still report every spam I
get, and it causes me to get Joe-jobbed occasionally.)

Perhaps report from some other domain?

Here are nineteen Message-Id's caught, and the good one at the bottom,
making twenty:

hostname portion = 5.2. Not within the spec which fleet provided (the procmail regexp which I constructed was merely a translation of just as far as he was using in grep, plus the @ terminus - I didn't expand it to limit the hostname portion to the forms which fleet reported)

[snip, bulk of list]

hostname portion = 7.3, which is what fleet was chiefly seeing.

hostname portion = 10.2, "10" being inconsistent with what fleet identified, so if the following macros were defined, and the regexp were expanded to include the following after the @:

ALPHAX7=[a-z][a-z][a-z][a-z][a-z][a-z][a-z]
ALPHAX12=${ALPHAX7}[a-z][a-z][a-z][a-z][a-z]

        (${ALPHAX7}|${ALPHAX12})\.

that might better isolate the spammy stuff.

Of course, if the _one_ mis-hit you got was from SpamCOP, I might go and point out to them that they really should be using their own domain (even with a bogus hostname) for the host portion of their messageids. Alternatley, you could always whitelist spamcop messages before entering this test.

slightly on finding it.  It is not at all a dead ringer -- 42%
of my good mail from the current batch has an X-Mailer: header.

Lots of valid email does.  I check for _specific_ mailers used for spamming.

The different X-Mailer: content in many of these message does
further imply a bulk MUA rather than one individual spammer.

Well, the bulk MUA could be inserting the X-Mailer randomly such that any two messages from the same spammer would never appear to be.