Re: Garbage vs Valid

2003-02-02 15:21:02
At 11:42 2003-02-02 -0800, Bart Schaefer did say:
On Sun, 2 Feb 2003, Professional Software Engineering wrote:

> I suspect that "th"  and "rh" should also probably be added to the
> "exclude me as a consonant" tests.

I think you're headed down a rathole here.  Consider words such as
strings, school (and Schaefer :-), inkling, and thoughtful.

Bart, you should perhaps read my original post on this thread which indicated that _I_ am completely aware that there are a lot of exceptions, and that the method is likely to result in too many false pozzies. I also pointed out that there's no requirement for a hostname to be an _english_ _word_.

On further consideration, 'h' should probably just be considered a non-consonant for the purpose of the tests, which is much easier than trying to
exclude certain character pairs.

I'm not suggesting that some simply shifting some characters from one class into another would make this approach feasable, merely that they would address _some_ of the limitations.