Re: exit 0 and not write anything to stderr possible?

2003-02-06 18:06:14
At 23:04 2003-02-06 +0000, Nuno Teixeira did say:
   Yes you right, I've changed my procmailrc to this and it worked:

    LOGFILE=/var/log/procmail.log
    VERBOSE=yes
    LOGABSTRACT=all

    I will do a deep look at procmail man pages, etc to understand this.

There's really nothing complicated to understand, and I'm not sure you'll find anything elaborating it in the manpages anyhow. You just want to define a logfile BEFORE you tell procmail to start logging - in the absense of a defined logfile, procmail will send its logging information to STDERR, which is what is stuffing up the works for your mail fetcher.

I would classify this as expected behaviour of any program for which you can define a logfile and which has options for emitting data to the log.

*NOT* defining a logfile is sometimes useful when running something from the commandline manually, since you can see the log output right on the screen (say, for debugging a recipe), though when testing a recipe, I emit a *LOT* of data which makes that approach not so useful.