RE: Plussed addresses & procmailrcs problem

2003-02-09 15:17:33
At 10:13 2003-02-10 +1300, Roland Hill did say:
> ^TO_ will pick them up certain headers of your message
> contain references
> to the BCC'd address.  Your MTA (or your ISP's MTA, and
> fetchmail) may not
> be inserting those references.

I assume that I can get my MTA to add this, even though it is routed via my ISP? Sounds like I can, will do some work with postfix (or pick up on what you have detailed below).

Uh, no, because in using fetchmail (rather than an SMTP delivery), you're fetching the messages from a POP/IMAP mailbox which no longer has _envelope_ information in it: if your ISP doesn't put it there, where do you figure your local system is going to pull it from in order to locally add it?

SMTP transmission of the messages is different (where I mentioned you could get a friend - or your ISP - to provide secondary MX services for you and queue your messages until your machine was online and registered through a dynamic DNS service), since the envelope data is retained as part of the mail queue.

If you understood these protocols, the various factors involved with using one POP mailbox in this fashion (plussed or otherwise) would be a lot easier to recognize.

Will do .........so far I haven't "lost" any of the wife's mail.........which is a good thing....trust me!

I neglected to point out that the delivery alias (onepop) can deliver to a file *AND* to a program - basically providing you with a backup of the entire mailspool as you sort things out. This is most notably of benefit when your invocation or permissions on the procmail rcfile is boffed, where procmail itself wouldn't be able to use a 'c'opy recipe to produce a backup.

onepop: /path/to/backupfile, "|/usr/bin/procmail -m /etc/genericprocmailrcs/onepop.rc"

(one long line)