Re: A cookbook would be a good idea

2003-02-16 03:53:27
At 02:13 2003-02-16 -0800, Jeff Orrok wrote:
I think it's kind of ironic that the procmail faq page's link to submit
changes or requests has been turned off, as if procmail was not up to
the task of dealing with those submissions.

Which of the FAQs?  Keep in mind that they are maintained by third parties.

host a cookbook was a good idea.

In basic principle, sure. I've mentioned in a separate post of mine that a CVS based recipe repository could be useful. A "live" FAQ of sorts. It doesn't necessitate running a separate list.

But as an archive it is still a pain because you're forced to sift through a bunch of messages that have the desired keyword to see if they *happen* to actually address the problem.

That will always be a problem. If you create a new list and archive it for six or eight years, I'll bet you'll have trouble matching specific problems in that new archive too.

Why not have a website that warehouses recipes, along with registered
users' ratings (and perhaps comments, which are also rated, perhaps sort
of like slashdot, so you can set a threshhold and not have to read a
hundred messages to get the handful of good ideas)?

A fine idea. Of course, the trick is to get people to take the time to rate the recipes. And to contribute/maintain fully debugged recipes for you.

Regularly following the procmail list seems sufficient to keep good ideas flowing.

A big problem with the existing list and archives is that there are many people who blow on through and inadequately describe their problem, get several suggestions, but then never acknowledge them or reply back to the list about the results. Or they report back that they managed to get things working, but don't elaborate on how.

Change those habits, and the existing archives will become much more useable.