Re: Dead.letter file from sendmail

2003-02-20 07:27:03
On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 01:23:48PM +0100, Mueller, Thomas wrote:

Thanks for you quick response.......
I want sendmail or any other mta to resend the messages to the
receipnents.......

How can I test this on one message? The dead.letter file is about
34megs big........

Tom,

I see you're writing from Germany and with a German last name,
so I presume you can speak German.  Did you see this week's thread
on this list about "TOFU"?  "Text oben, Fullquote unten"?
It really irritates oldtime Usenetters such as me and many
others here.  It's a Microsoft-invented idiocy.  Bitte mach'
kein dummes Zeug.  :-)

Here's something in German which I've only skimmed but which
appears to address the point:

        http://www.springstubbe.net/usenet/quote.htm

Now, as for your problem:

Von: Dallman Ross [mailto:dman(_at_)nomotek(_dot_)com]

Formail -s sendmail dead.letter but nothing happend........which
parameter do I have to use?

First, move dead.letter somwhere absolutely out of the path of any
stdout from your processes.  Then: you forgot the stdin redirector:

 formail -s sendmail < file

But perhaps you want to use "procmail" instead of sendmail in
there. I'm unclear on what you are trying to accomplish with the
messages in that folder.  Will sendmail grok their headers as you
wish?  I'd test this on one message first that you expect to go
somewhere you control.

Your question, how to do just one as a test, is really a Unix
question and not a procmail one.  But the answer is simple, so
I'll bother.  There are lots of ways.  One way would be to
copy the first message in the real file to some test filename,
and use your editor to change all the fields that go to someone
else so that they go to you, then run the "formail -s sendmail <
file" thing on it and see what happens.

How to get a sample file out of the huge archive?  One way:

        sed -n '1,/^From /p' < archive > mytestmessage

--
dman