Odd locking/writing problem

2003-03-01 11:11:52

Hi all,

I've been having a problem recently where mail from a certain list doesn't get
delivered to the correct mailbox. Here's the recipe in question:

# The Utah GLX development mailing list
:0:
* ^Sender:
(g200|(utah-)?glx)-(dev|cvs)-admin@(lists\.(openprojects|sourceforge)\.net|dns2\.digitalpassage\.com)
glx-dev

That list has moved and been renamed a fair bit in the past, so there's some
history in that recipe :) But I don't think it's the recipe that's actually the
problem. I've turned the diagnostics on, and I've finally caught what happens:

procmail: No match on...      # Other recipes before this one
procmail: No match on...
procmail: No match on...
procmail: Match on "^Sender: (g200|(utah-)?glx)...
procmail: Locking "glx-dev.lock"
procmail: Assigning "LASTFOLDER=glx-dev"
procmail: Opening "glx-dev"
procmail: Acquiring kernel-lock
procmail: Error while writing to "glx-dev"
procmail: Truncated file to former size
procmail: Unlocking "glx-dev.lock"
procmail: No match on...      # Other recipes after this one
procmail: No match on...
procmail: No match on...

At this point it goes through not matching the rest of the recipes, and then
delivers to my mailbox in /var/spool/mail. This was the only mail I had from
that list in this batch, so I don't think anything else had a lock on the
glx-dev mailbox. There's plenty of space on the filesystem, the mail wasn't
very large, and there are no unusual logs from my MTA (Postfix). I haven't
managed to determine whether this happens all the time yet (that list is very
quiet at the moment). The only thing I can see is that glx-dev is the largest
mailbox that procmail delivers to (it's 53Meg), but I wouldn't have thought
that was a problem.

Other info that might be useful - I've just moved my mail over to a new
machine. The old one was running Procmail 3.15.1 and I never saw this problem
there. The new one is running 3.22 with the same .procmailrc file. Procmail is
being run from my .forward (just "| procmail"). I'm running Linux 2.4.20,
Glibc 2.1.3, Postfix, and the filesystem is Reiserfs if that's relevant.

Any help would be much appreciated.

PS: The procmail lists page lists
procmail(_at_)informatik(_dot_)rwth-aachen(_dot_)de as the
list address, in case anyone's wondering why this is forwarded.

PPS: Just seen the problem again. Same list, same logs. I think this might be
happening every time.