Re: bouncing emails without real names

2003-03-02 06:58:09
On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Professional Software Engineering wrote:

PSE> At 21:14 2003-03-01 -0800, Ben Crowell did say:
PSE> >Does anyone have a good recipe for bouncing e-mails from people who don't
PSE> >give their real name in the From: line?
PSE>

PSE> Some people _sign_ their emails.  You could simply elect to post a policy
PSE> of refusing to respond to messages which fail to provide any form of
PSE> personal identification (be it in the From:, or in the body).

Ben Crowell is attempting use a technological solution for a problem of
bad manners.  If his pupils are sending him emails such that he cannot
identify the originator, then he should be teaching them manners.  This is
not technical problem and is not one that can be solved with procmail.

Good grief, what is happening in our education system?

Alan

( Please do not email me AS WELL as replying to the list. Personal
  email is welcome but may invoke a password autoresponder - the
  current pass-through address is alan+1@  )