sendmail global/default mail delivery agent

2003-03-02 18:43:34
I'm just getting started with this - I've read a lot & my head is
swimming with many details that I'm struggling to 'connect'; i.e please
be patient :)

I'm running a current version of sendmail on a *BSD box.

I want to use procmail to move _all_ mail to the appropriate user's
local mailbox (I believe this is what is meant by global/default).

Once in the local user's mailbox, my final goal is for each user's mail
to be accessible via IMAP (I plan to use courier-imap), POP, or from
pine, mutt, etc. I would also like for each user to be able to run
additional procmail scripts that (s)he prepares in $HOME/.procmailrc...
In other words: a "two-tiered" procmail setup.

But first things first - I'm writing today to try to get some help &
advice on configuring procmail to simply deliver mail to the
appropriate user's mailbox - courier-imap to begin.

To make procmail the global/default delivery agent, I think I'll need
to add a 'FEATURE(local_procmail)' to my sendmail config (in the .mc
file); and perhaps to augment the sendmail.cf file as described in the
examples/advanced file in the procmail 3.22 archive. The sendmail
config seems pretty straightforward as outlined in the procmail and
sendmail docs.

Things start getting a little fuzzy after that... Do I also need a file
/etc/procmailrc for 'global' processing given that all I need for my
"first-tier" processing is just to deliver each message to its user's
home mailbox? If so - I would appreciate a brief example (sorry if this
sounds thick, but the recipes I've looked at just don't seem to do this
at all).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jay Moore