Newbie help with .procmailrc

2003-03-06 16:21:23
Our service provider has recently ancounced the virus and spam filtering,
I would like to be able to block or reject all mail that the system gives a
score of 10 or higher to.  I have tried reading several sites and do not
understand procmail at all,  any way below is what the isp has said does any
one
know an easy way to set up the file?

Mail coming into, or sent through our primary mail
cluster is now scanned for spam and viruses.  Viruses
are blocked, spam is not, but we have provided subject
and header settings to aid you in your spam filtering.

Spam can be too much of a grey area for us to block it
completely, so we're leaving the filtering and blocking
in your (the client's) capable hands.  There are
several ways to filter spam in your mail client now
that we are scanning it and assigning it a spam score:

Method #1: Subject line blocking.

Our system will add the text {Possible Spam?} to
the subject for mail with a Spam Assassin index higher
than 5.  If you want to filter possible spam, just look
for that text in your subject line filters.

Our system will add the text {Likely Spam} to
the subject for mail with a Spam Assassin index higher
than 20.  This is similar to the prior rule, but this
will catch the messages that are highly likely to be spam.

Method #2: Mail header blocking.

All mail passing through our cluster will now have two
new headers added to them:

The first header will have details about the actual
spam check.  The second will have a spam score.  For
each point toward the spam score, a single s
character will be appended.  So for a mail with a spam
score of 7, the header will look like this:

Thus if you wanted to filter spam with a score of 15 or
higher, you could simply check for 15 s's in a row.

We believe (but are not certain) that Outlook and
Procmail can support this method.  We do not believe
Outlook express supports it.  Contact your mail client
software vendor for details and/or assistance.

Note that we do run procmail.  So if you want to setup
a .procmailrc file in your home directory to play with
this type of filtering, feel free.  Please be careful
though, it's all too easy to lose incoming mail with
typos in your .procmailrc file.  ;-)

Thank You
Chris