Re: Newbie help with .procmailrc

2003-03-06 16:29:16
At 16:20 2003-03-06 -0800, Chris Wheat did say:
Our service provider has recently ancounced the virus and spam filtering,
I would like to be able to block or reject all mail that the system gives a
score of 10 or higher to.  I have tried reading several sites and do not
understand procmail at all,  any way below is what the isp has said does any
one
know an easy way to set up the file?

Your ISP doesn't indicate if procmail is the LDA or not. If it is, merely having a .procmailrc (with secure permissions) in your homedir will suffice. If it isn't the LDA, then you'll need to set up a .forward file.

The procmail homepage <http://www.procmail.org/> has links to some FAQs and a quickstart. You should start there if the manpages aren't enough for you. You should check the URL in my .sig for a "sandbox" recipe testing method, as well as explanation of any of the TLAs you don't understand here.

Our system will add the text {Possible Spam?} to
the subject for mail with a Spam Assassin index higher

BTW, I've seen people on other discussion lists whose email servers change the subject in this fashion, and they blindly hit reply, retaining the modified subject. This is VERY ANNOYING, and generally breaks subject threading in various mail clients as well as message web archiving which attempts to keep threads together by subject when clients don't always provide References: headers.

Anyone who has filter capabilities in their mail client should be able to filter on arbitrary headers, meaning that they don't need to have the subject line mangled.

Method #2: Mail header blocking.

All mail passing through our cluster will now have two
new headers added to them:

Golly, if they add these, why change the subject? It aught to at least be an _option_.

We believe (but are not certain) that Outlook and
Procmail can support this method.  We do not believe
Outlook express supports it.  Contact your mail client
software vendor for details and/or assistance.

# 10 or higher.
# (pray that scoring doesn't end up in the scores or hundreds!)
:0:
spew.mbx