Re: How to unset variable?

2003-03-12 08:23:14
Geroge asked,

| how can I unassign LOGFILE variable to send all text printed on
| stderr to the sender if delivery fails.

You can't.  Once you point LOGFILE to a file, if you unset it or give it a
null value, you close stderr.  You can't direct it to the console, the
terminal, nor a program.  (Well, maybe you can direct it to a named pipe.)

If the process that invoked procmail had stderr pointed to a terminal or a
console, and LOGFILE hasn't been assigned, unset, or made null, stderr will
keep going where the parent had it, but once you do anything to the LOGFILE
variable, you can't get it back.

To the general question of how to unset a variable, just state its name in the
rcfile with no dollar sign in front of it and no equal sign after it.  But
unsetting LOGFILE won't accomplish what you're asking for.