Re: auto-respond

2003-03-13 08:35:57

Thanks Matt -- just wanted some idea what to expect...  /:b

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Matt Dunford wrote:

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 01:10:49PM -0800, { brad brace } wrote:
On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, { brad brace } wrote:

I'd like to set up an auto-respond script that would 'read'
my email/news for certain keywords/phrases and 'personally'
respond using various existing sentences/files/attachments.
There would also be an random inclusion of sentences from
another existing file. It would have to determine the
'correct' reply address(es). Then it would delete all mail
but keep a log of replies: an abbreviated summary of which
is emailed daily to my pager. Is this something that
procmail could handle?

(This would probably involve DCC? scripts but I'd also like
to routinely post an image and/or file to a channel on
various IRC networks/messaging systems.) Thanks for any
advice.

Yes, this is all possible w/ procmail.  I'd probably use a combination
of procmail and perl scripts (since I write a lot of report- &
log-generators in perl), but you could probably write it in pure
procmail if you wanted.

As for routinely posting imgs or files to various IRC channels, check
out eggdrop, more specifically the "files" module (I think it's called
that).  You can have procmail store a file in its file server area and
then have the eggdrop announce it to all the channels.  Of course, you
will have to write a tcl script to get the eggdrop to do this kind of
notification.