Re: Another Newbie Question.

2003-03-13 12:14:41
At 22:05 2003-03-12 -0800, Multimedia Fan wrote:
My etc/procmailrc is growing and is becoming hard to track.

Break it into component parts and use INCLUDERC to include them into the central file. This is detailed in 'man procmailrc'

Is there a way that I organize the spam detection in the BODY of the
message to fgrep certain words that I was told to filter out?

'man procmail'

then, hit:

        /the body

and press enter (or, if you're adventurous, just search for 'body').

Let's assume that I have SPAMMERS file containing words that we need to
filter.

"SPAMMERS" as a filename rather implies that it is spammer identifications, not, say "SPAMTERMS"

How do I check against the message body and not the headers?
Looking at the above, is it possible to check against the subject line
too,  (-x Subject:)?

If you refer to the procmail list archvies and do a few searches, or check the sandbox referred to in my .sigline disclaimer, you'll find that some people extract certain headers right up front, then they have them in variables which they can check easily, like so:

* SUBJECT ?? some|list|of|words

You already know the formail invocation of checking against specific headers if that's the route you want to take.

BTW, pursuant to an exchange which you had with someone else here, if spending the time to learn procmail, or manage the scripts becomes too much of a bother, you might consider just using one of the managed spam filtering packages such as SpamAssassin. That isn't my approach, but if you're intent on dealing with spam effectively, you'll find yourself spending a lot of _time_ keeping on top of your rules.

Further, simple keyword rulesets are going to give you a LOT of grief - if you had a body keyword filter running, your OWN post asking for assistance with writing the filter would have been rejected, as would any of the replies containing those keywords. Several may appear in legitimate discussions as well.

If you really insist on managing it all yourself, you might take the _time_ to investigate 'man procmailsc' - scoring. Where you judge a message as being 'spammish' based on a number of criteria, individually which may be insufficient to mark a message as spam, but measured together, identify the message as crap.

Another thing to consider: DO NOT SIMPLY /dev/null SUSPECTED MESSAGES. You sure as hell shouldn't do that from a recipe running in /etc/procmailrc that you're _testing_. Unless you're the sole user of your system, and you don't mind losing legitimate mail while you're not learning procmail.