Re: Books

2003-03-18 07:26:10
On Monday, March 17, 2003, at 06:13  PM, LuKreme wrote:
On Monday, Mar 17, 2003, at 10:41 Canada/Mountain, PGomez wrote:
Can the Procmail Companion take the total Newbee that just installed
Procmail as part of the RH package, but knows 0, and help him get Bayesian
filtering running?

Erm... I don't recall that it covers Bayesian, but it can take a total nebie who knows nothing and get him along to some fairly sophisticated procmail recipes.

It doesn't take much procmail to run a Bayesian filter; most of them that I've seen are, like SpamAssassin, external programs which one can call from procmail, and if I can do it, it doesn't take much procmail. I use bogofilter, <http://bogofilter.sourceforge.net/> which includes suggested recipes in the man pages:

# filter mail through bogofilter, tagging it as spam and
# updating the word lists
:0fw
| bogofilter -u -e -p

# if bogofilter failed, return the mail to the queue, the MTA will
# retry to deliver it later
# 75 is the value for EX_TEMPFAIL in /usr/include/sysexits.h
:0e
{ EXITCODE=75 HOST }

# file the mail to spam-bogofilter if it's spam.
:0:

All of which is not to say, of course, that buying Martin's book and learning more procmail would not be A Good Thing.

pjm