Re: Using procmail to manage sendmails mqueue

2003-04-03 18:04:07
At 17:23 2003-04-03 -0700, Scott Wiersdorf did say:
On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 11:40:56PM +0000, Kevin Alford wrote:
Your best bet is to snag them with procmail before they get to your
queue.

This is generally a bit more difficult to do on messages which are being _sent_. It IS doable.

I tested the example provided in the procmail manpage, and it worked, but I haven't looked at procmail invocation from sendmail rulesets since before sendmail split to their MSA methodology (along with two separate .cf files - sendmail.cf and submit.cf). Last time I bothered, it was all managed in one .cf. Good news is that it should be easier to apply separate sendmail-invoked processing to locally submitted messages, versus messages which arrive via SMTP (say, which are being relayed).

Note that with mail queue files, there are _two_ files - the message, and the queue status file (containing recipients and delivery data, plus the headers, in a sendmail syntax ("H??Headername: header content"). The message file is still very much like a regular email message, but cannot be processed by procmail as-is - you'd really have to use a wrapper script to fiddle with it, and yea, at that point, if you have something simple, grep should suffice.