do lockfiles prevent collisions with imapd?

2003-04-08 14:16:23
I have a user for whom I wish to provide whitelist/blacklist capability via
a couple of imap folders.  The idea is that she will drop a copy of the
valued/offending message into a folder named white or black, and then a
cron-fired script will run the folder through formail and append output to the
corresponding list, which is subsequently fgrepped by her .procmailrc.

Right now, the script greps the output of ps to see if imapd is currently
being run by this user, and exits without taking its actions if so.  I thought
it might be more elegant if I could use lockfiles on the folders, or some
other means to gracefully synchronize with imapd, or maybe have the script run
as the imap equivalent of .bash_logout.  Does anyone know where I could find
this out?

I've never used AppleScript, but I seem to recall a feature mentioned in one
of the documents known as a "droplet", which is triggered by dropping a file's
icon onto it.  I was wondering if a similar thing existed in linux.  I skimmed
the mkfifo man page, but I was not clear what a named pipe would do if imapd
tried to write a message to it, or how exactly I would ensure that my script
was paying attention at the other end.

Jeff