Re: do lockfiles prevent collisions with imapd?

2003-04-08 14:58:36
I can't comment directly on your setup but here we use
imap extensively.  All folder are mbx format except
for the ones that procmail delivers directly to, those
are standard unix mailbox format. I have not yet done
any research into getting procmail to write into an mbx
format so I don't know if it can be done; mbx is better
for locking and rapid access.  Anyhow there are several
folders where there can, potentially, be concurrent multi
user imap activity, and delivery by multiple procmail
processes (one I am thinking of is my suspect spam queue
folder).  I have always used the ":0:" 'let procmail
figure out the locking' and, to date, have never had a
file contention issue.  Example:

*  ALL MY SCORING/WEIGHTING
*  CONDITIONS
{ }

WEIGHT="$="

:0 A
{
  LOG="Trapped -> SPAM Weight: $WEIGHT $NL"

  LOGABSTRACT=all

  :0:
  /var/spool/postoffice/quarantine/spam